A data breach is where all your personal information gets exposed to people who don’t have authorization to it. It’s like you telling someone to keep a secret and they go and tell everyone!
Data breaches tend to occur due to weakness in:
How Does A Data Breach Work?
Research: attackers look for weaknesses in the company’s security measures
- People, Systems, Network
Attack: this is where the attacker utilizes their preferred technique to gain access to the data they want
Initial contact is made via:
- Network Attack: occurs when the attacker utilizes infrastructure weakness to obtain access to a company’s network
- Social Attack: an employee is either deceived into giving up credentials or baited with malicious software
- Exfiltration: if the hacker is able to successfully extract data once they have access, the breach is considered a success
Common Causes of Data Breach:
- Unpatched security vulnerabilities
- Human error [weak passwords, sensitive information spreading, taking phishing bait]
- Insider misuse
- Physical theft of a device carrying sensitive data
Methods Used To Breach Data:
- Brute Force Attacks
What Do Attackers Target In Data Breach Attacks?
- Weak credentials
- Stolen credentials
- Compromised assets
- Payment card fraud
- Third party access
- Mobile devices
Practices To Avoid Data Breach:
- Patching + updating software
- High-grade encryption for sensitive data
- Enforcing BYOD security policies [ie: requiring devices to use business VPN or antivirus software]
- Utilize strong credential creation
- Lean towards MFA- multi-factor authentication
- Utilize a password manager
Humanity Wealth Advisors believes in sharing good knowledge and education. We believe your financial wellness comes from knowing good information– after all, knowledge is power and that’s what we’re all about.
The articles we provide are free resources used simply to educate and pass knowledge; a knowledgeable investor is a great investor!
We’re the financial advisors you want to come to for affordable financial planning in the Bay Area.
Did someone ask for financial advisors without a minimum asset requirement? That’s us!
Data breaches can compromise data which may lead to diversion of financial planning; giving readers information on data breaches helps us meet our goal to educate the general public.
Contact us if online financial advice is crucial to you- we can help you with that.